header top
home about me crafts diy Geekery recipes freebies
header bottom
This post may contain affiliate links, sponsored content and products received at no cost.

Saturday, February 26, 2011

Sewing Machine thread system...

So, thought I would share with you my secret to success!
My mom did the same thing...and I know why now!

I went to the store to buy some thread for the sewing machine...
a little spool of thread...I don't remember how 
many yards were on it, but it was $1.94
and on the same rack were the serger threads...
$1.94 for 3000 yards!
Clearly...I want the best value for my 2 bucks!

So, I got a small piece of wood from the scrap pile...
as nice or not nice as you want
Then get a wire coat hanger...hard to find 
these days, I know!
The hanger has to be tall enough that the thread comes
off the spool without binding up...so mine is 19 inches tall, 
2 inch arm with a loop to keep the thread in place.

Drill small hole for the hanger...and then
hot glue it in there!
Then hot glue your spool right onto the wood...
I have 2 (black and white)
When the spool runs out of thread, you can just 
stack another spool on top.

And there you go!
Easy, and saves you money from buying small spools of thread...
Hey--if you sew as much as I do...it's way cost effective!

Thanks for looking, happy sewing!


Friday, February 25, 2011

112 Slim Jims anyone?

I needed a great way to hold my copics!  
I knew I wanted them to be horizontal to keep the ink even...
That same week...my kids were dying to try a slim jim...
I caved and bought 1 container...
Which got me thinking, they would be great for my copics!
I rushed to the store and bought 6 more containers.
(and yes, my neighbor saw me at the store with my cart loaded!)
I covered them in craft paper and twill tape and then tied the 7 together!
I grouped them in color families, and I am pleased to 
announce that they are more full than pictured already!
I love them!
(the copics, I mean!  My kids are the
ones suffering with 112 slim jims!)


Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Cake Stands DIY!

Here are some cake stands I made!
I love this and now am constantly on the prowl for 
fun candlesticks and cool plates!  Each cake or cupcake/bonbon
stand cost between $1.25 and $2.00
Once it's summer, I'll score big at yardsales and 
be able to make these for 50 cents or less!

Here is the basic process:
gather supplies:
candlestick or cool glass
plate of sorts
E6000 glue 
(some people use epoxy or gorilla glue, 
but E6000 holds tight and is cheap and IS rated for glue to glass)

gather supplies, have a good work surface
Squeeze glue on the rim of the candlestick...and don't try to take a picture while you do it!
Center on underside of plate and let dry overnight
Waiting patiently...
Still drying...
Ta Da!  Fabulous tiered cake stands for your next party!

Add bon-bons for the perfect touch!

Now...what to do with all these cake stands?
I have nothing on top of my fridge so I arrange
them up there to look fabulous--party or not!
Also, I think they would be such a cute gift for a friend's birthday...
adorned with a big cupcake and some chocolate!
Thanks for looking!

Danny's date night with mom!

I decided that Danny (8) and Hailee (6) should each get 
a special night with mom once a week...at least while dad is gone!
The other children have to go to bed at 10...and 
they get to stay up until 11 doing something they chose with mom!  
We plan Tuesday nights being Danny's night and
Thursday nights being Hailee's night.  
So, tonight was Daniel's night.
He wanted to make a patchy looking pillowcase!
Way easy and fun!
I let him pick all the material...and we had 3 huge
patches for him to put on the front.
I started off really helping him get the hang of it.
Explaining the process and how to make 
sure you are sewing the pieces right.
Then, I let him take the wheel and he really did great!
Most of it he did himself!
I sewed on the patches, did the seams
on the edges and the cuff trim.
Time from start to finish: 10:08 to 11:23
(kissing him in bed for the night)
Time includes all picking of material and 
documenting the process!
I had a blast with him!
Here is the finished piece!
I love the random pattern and unmatchyness!  
I can never be this random--maybe I try too hard!

Front side for the awesomeness and decorativeness!
Back side for the comfort of sleeping on!
2 layers of memory foam added to his wee pillow I 
think will help his transition into manhood!  :)
 Lovin' it!

Thanks for checking us out today!

Newer Posts Home